|Tower Toppler (Port) 1.1.13|
|Created by Many people|
What is it
This is the GP2X Port of tower toppler 1.1.13 also known as nebulous In this game you have to help a cute little green animal switch off some kind of "evil" mechanism. The "power off switch" is hidden somewhere in high towers. On your way to the target you need to avoid a lot of strange robots that guard the tower. That sounds all like a normal jump and run game. What makes this game different is that you walk arond the tower which is revolving on the screen, so that you only see the 180° that are currently visible.
How to install
Copy the Tower tower_toppler_1.1.13 directory anywhere on your sd card and run toppler.gpe if you are using the default menu, or just toppler if you are using gmenu2x.
How to play
Joystick : Move in menus, move the little green guy.
Select : Quit game, Quit menu in game
Start : Pause the game
A,B : Select a menu option, Jump when moving in a direction, shoot when standing still (same as in the orignal game).
Y,X,Joystick UP : Enter a door / use an elavator
Volume controls : Change global volume
Entering a highscore / password:
You can enter a highscore using the joystick, joystick up/down will cycle through the alphabet/numbers and a empty space. Pressing Select will erase the currently entered text. and finally pressing A or B will confirm the entry you made.
Certain levels have "slippery floors" this makes the green dude move in a certain direction. This is a feature of the game and not a bug with the joystick as i first thought. There is no way to see the diffrence between a normal and slippery floor.
The game runs in 640x480 and is downscaled real time, this is automaticly being done by the gp2x's SDL Library. Changing the graphics in this game is not easy. I tried it once and failed since you have to do it in the loading functions and have to change a lot of variables. I will however give it another shot in the future.
There is a bug in the orginal game when you want to enter a password in the game configuration screen. It will show the last screen seen as a background. This gives you sometimes the highscore screen as a background or the last game screen. However it seems not to affect the input of the passwords & such in general.
If you want to compile the source code yourself for the gp2x please use the "Makefile.gp2x" file. I used it together with the the open2x toolchan. You can compile it by doing "make -f Makefile.gp2x" under cygwin. If you are using another toolchain you will have to edit the makefile.
These things have changed/ been added:
- Added GP2x Controls
- Fixed a crashing bug related to sound (which only happens on the gp2x).
- Added highscore / password entries using the joystick.
- Added a global volume control while trying to keep the dynamic volume control of the orginal game intact.
- Disabled the bonus game for the time being. It ran too slow on the gp2x.
- Removed fullscreen / Windowed options
- Sound intialisation for the gp2x. (buffers) otherwise the game had delayed / lagged music & sounds.
- Fixed a memory leak bug which was in the orginal code.
- Removed the level editor. There's just isn't a good way to make this work on the gp2x , i might give it another shot later on though.
- Removed certain paths so that all files are stored in the correct folder on the gp2x so that it doesn't write in /root etc
- Added a 32x32 png icon for the gp2x
- Added Sync(); to make sure data gets writen to the sd card
Original game created by Main Authors:
Andreas Röver,Pasi Kallinen and many others (please read the AUTHORS file)
Gp2x Port Created by:
Willems Davy - Willems Soft